This old time favorite dish is very nourishing and satisfying for both Pitta and Vata. It builds the tissues while reducing the cholesterol.
Ingredients:1 cup whole rolled oats (not instant)
Approx 2 cups water
¼ tsp Salt
¼ Cinnamon powder (or less)
Pinch of Nutmeg
2 tbsp ghee
Handful of Raisins
Cashews, broken into pieces
Sugar or honey
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a rolling boil. Add in the oats, stirring to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let oats sit for 3-4 minutes.
- In a shallow saucepan, heat the ghee and sauté the cashews until they turn a nice rich golden color. Add in the raisins and once they balloon up, remove the pan from the heat and pour entire mixture into the oats. Don’t allow the raisins to burn as they will become bitter.
- Sprinkle oats with a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Use nutmeg very sparingly as it is very strong and can easily overpower the whole dish.
- Add in a ½ tsp of unsalted butter if you like, and sweeten to taste with brown sugar or honey.
- Add in enough milk to your liking and enjoy!