This is a great one dish meal that is not too heavy
and is easily digestible
3 tbsp Corn or Sunflower Oil
2 cups rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red onion, chopped
3-4 Green chillies, sliced diagonally
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1 yellow tomato, chopped
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3cups Chicken stock or chicken buillion
Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Wash rice well and drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. When hot, add in the garlic, onion and green chillie and stir fry on medium heat until onion is golden.
- Add in the rice and salt and continue to stir fry for about 5 minutes or until the raw rice is no longer damp and is starting to dry out and brown up a bit.
- Add in the cumin powder and black pepper and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes so that the cumin becomes spicy fragrant and loses the raw smell. The mixture should look a little oily.
- Add in the green pepper, tomato and sugar, and stir fry again mixing all ingredients well. Add in the chicken stock stirring well and return to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is done.
- About half way through, remove the lid and stir through to ensure rice is not burning at the bottom of the pan. Cover and continue cooking until rice is done.
- Top off this dish with freshly chopped cilantro.